Calculating your degree classification

by Jeanette Sakel

Curious what sort of degree classification you may get? I’ve yet to come across a level 3 student who doesn’t (urgently) want to know where they stand at this stage.

Here is a link to the UWE webpage that tells you more about the way your degree is calculated.

You can click on the ‘Honours Degrees (all years of study completed at UWE)’ tab to reveal the appropriate information, including the following:

“The key features of the formula are:

  • Only the marks for 100 credits at level 3 and 100 credits at level 2 (or other level 3 credits) are included.
  • Marks for the 100 level 3 credits are weighted three times those at level 2 (or other level 3 credits).
  • Marks used are the best overall module marks you have achieved.”

What does that mean? Well, the three best modules (at levels 2 and 3) count fully, i.e. 30% while the module with the lowest marks at each level counts only 10%. When it comes to the overall marks, level 3 counts the most (75%) – and level 2 less (25%). So, how to calculate your overall mark?

I found the easiest way (yet not the ‘official’ one – as this link does not appear on the website any more) is to use a Google Search for ‘UWE degree calculator’. The second item that comes up is a spreadsheet into which you can enter your marks.

The left column is for level 3, the right column for level 2.

You don’t need to put in the module codes (as requested), unless you really want to.

What you have to put in is:

  • Credit value = 30 for all four modules
  • Counting credits = 30 for the three best modules and 10 for the module with the lowest mark at each level
  • Mark = your overall mark for the module (you can try it out with the marks you have achieved so far at level 3 to see where you stand)

Once you’ve done that, you’ll see your overall mark in the top right-hand corner. That’s an indication of the degree classification you may get. [over 40% = a 3rd, over 50% a 2.2, over 60% a 2.1 and over 70% a 1st.

If you struggle with this calculation, you can contact the student advisers, who will be able to help. If you want to discuss how to improve your chances of a better classification I encourage you to contact your personal tutor.



  1. All really helpful for the ss, J: thank you ☺

    Dr Catherine Rosenberg
    Associate Head: English, Linguistics and Film
    Department of Arts and Cultural Industries
    University of the West of England

    Room 2S305
    Telephone 0117 32 82382

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s