by Jeanette Sakel
On Wednesday 30/9/15 the volunteering fair comes to UWE again – with lots and lots to offer for our students at all levels. It is held at the ECC, and open from 11-15. More info HERE.
This is a great way to gain insights into different professions – or gain valuable skills and experience in a wide range of areas (as well as meeting nice people, doing ‘good’ and overall being fabulous!).
There is lots and lots you can get involved in, from woodland management to volunteering in a Speech and Language therapy setting. Some tasks that would be appropriate for our students include:
- Schools volunteering placements
- The Drama Project: design and deliver a series of drama workshops for primary aged pupils – this is run over the Autumn and Spring terms and designed to provide students with project design, management and facilitation skills
- Creative Writing Project: design and deliver a series of workshops to teach pupils about creative writing, with the aim of producing an anthology at the end. We’ve partnered up with the organisation 91 Ways (91ways.org), who are an organisation aiming to connect communities through language and culture. The project will use this theme to focus the workshops. Run over the Autumn and Spring terms.
- UNIT: run fun activity sessions for children and young people with Asperger’s – volunteer as a Project Leader or Session Volunteer
- SIBS: run fun activity sessions for children who have a brother or sister with a disability –volunteer as a Project Leader or Session Volunteer
- Creative Club: run a weekly creative club for adults with learning and physical disabilities. This year, activities will have a sustainability/ environmentally friendly angle! Volunteer as a Project Leader or Session Volunteer.